Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Father’s Thoughts to His Daughter

A Father’s Thoughts to his daughter, Briana
Fri., Oct. 24, 2010

Bri,

As we’re all immersed in a special worldwide day of fasting and praying for you and your family, my heart is full, my spirit is strengthened, yet my heart melts and my emotions are so tender as I see and hear hundreds of comments expressing support, love and faith in your behalf.

This morning as I sat alone in Sacrament meeting, a passage of scripture came to my mind with tremendous impact – Isaiah 58.  This is where the doctrine of fasting is recorded.  I’ve known it and taught it all my life.  Yet, today, as I read it, I received a witness and understanding as I never had before.  It penetrated my heart.  It entered my mind with such impact I immediately got up from the meeting, went into an empty classroom and called Mom.  I told her to read Isaiah 58: 6-11.  I exclaimed, “This is Bri, today!”

Isaiah 58:6-11

Purpose of fasting . . .
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and tolet the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

Importance of fast offerings . . .
Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Blessings derived from fasting in the Lord’s way . . .
8 ¶ Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward
Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am.  If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
11 And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

Dearest Bri, with so many faithful family and friends, worldwide, fasting and praying for you and the miracle promised in numerous priesthood and Fathers’ blessings, please ponder, believe and accept the blessings declared by God Almighty in verses 8-11.  They are yours!

I love you more than words can express, yet I try.  Please forgive my inadequacies.  I look forward to holding you, your family and Mom in my arms next weekend.  The miracle continues!

Love,
Dad

Mormon 9:21                                            D&C 46:8, 19-21, 26
     Behold, I say unto you that                         Seek ye earnestly the best gifts,
     whoso believeth in Christ,                               always remembering for what
     doubting nothing,                                            they are given;
     whatsoever he shall ask the Father              to some it is given to have
     in the name of Christ                                       faith to be healed,
     it shall be granted him;                                to some it is given to have
     and this promise is unto all,                            faith to heal,
     even unto the ends of the earth.                   to some is given the
                                                                             working of miracles
                                                                         And all these gifts come from God,
                                                                         for the benefit of the children of God.

No comments: